Thursday, August 6, 2009

One year anniversary

It is coming up to the one year anniversary of losing my dad. Peruvian culture calls for a mass in his honor and a get-together of his loved ones.

The thing is that our relatives and family friends live so far away and the actual anniversary falls over Labor Day weekend. The whole thing is inconvenient for everyone. So it boils down the only ones going to the mass are my mom and our family. My brain understands, but my heart just weeps.

This has been upsetting me all week.

My dad was awesome. When I find myself wanting to ball up in a corner and cry it is because I selfishly want the world to stop and remember that someone so great is no longer on this earth.

One year ago this weekend, we went down to the farmer's market and Holland's sidewalk sales. Dad made sure the kids got treats, and I would sit with him outside while everyone else went in the stores because it was too crowded and cumbersome to bring him in with the wheelchair.

I made him buy a new pair of sandals, which he never wore. But he bought them to make me happy. We never imagined the end would ever come.... no matter what all the doctors said.

Love you Papi!

1 comment:

KIM said...

Thinking of you and praying for you and your Mom as you try to get through this difficult time... know that I am here for you anytime of day or night if you want to talk. Love you!!