Thursday, October 16, 2008

Remembering Dad

This past weekend, we went to Brooklyn to celebrate a One-Month Memorial Mass for my daddy. We stayed with my Tio Ignacio and had a wonderful time. The kids did great on the ride there and back, and my cousin Brigitte was so incredibly patient when it came to touring us around Manhattan. She's tops on Jeff's list because she took us out to an Irish Pub that was within walking distance!

On saturday we went to mass for my dad. Afterwards there was a dinner at my Tio's house and there were so many people (and food) there.

Here is a link to a slideshow of pictures my cousin Wilfredo made on his website.
http://asengphotostudio.com/UncleLeo.aspx
Thanks Cousin!

It is always something to realize that you are connected to something bigger than yourself. That you share the same blood and family ties with people who have know you your whole life. For some people, there are constant reminders because their family is all around them.

I have always had long-distance relatives. New York and Peru mostly. All families have their nutty relatives, but in the end... they still share something with you that no one else does. It is quite humbling to me. Something I probably don't appreciate as much as I should.

Dad always tried to do anything for his family. He often told me that his father kept a room in his home for anyone who needed a place to lay their head. Dad tried to carry on that tradition by helping the people around him. Whether or not they were someone who rented a room from him when we lived in New Jersey, or if they were a nephew who was jilted by the mother of his child. One of his last requests was to have us send his brand new down winter coat to my mom's nephew who just arrived in the US from Peru this summer.

Throughout this whole process, people have been so kind to let us know how much my dad has meant to him. It has been so wonderful to hear how much my Daddy was loved.

I still miss him... but I know that he is at peace now.

Thanks everyone...

p.s. He loved picking apples and he always loved a good pen!

2 comments:

KIM said...

Marianne.. I am so glad everything went well - considering the reason why you were there.. but to be surrounded by family and feel all that love and support - that is what is comforting. I looked at that slide show - someday you will have to tell me who everyone is!!
Love ya!!

Peru Dreamed Travel said...

I am sorry we couldnt be there, but you know we are always with you, your meant lots to mine and they are both gone, they are together agaig. You know how much they care for each other